Known internationally as the Opal Capital of the World, Coober Pedy is located 850km north of Adelaide and 680km south of Alice Springs. With a population of around 2,000 this iconic town offers a unique tourism, business and lifestyle proposition. The local Council is currently governed by an Administrator, Tim Jackson, who was appointed by the State Government in 2019. A unique contract opportunity has emerged for an experienced professional to join and lead the Council through a significant period of transition during which the commercial and municipal activities may be separated.
Reporting directly to the Administrator, this important role will have responsibility for:
- providing strategic leadership and operational direction to the organisation;
- working closely with the Management Team to implement corporate and financial plans;
- identifying and driving business improvement strategies to generate community value;
- leading, motivating, developing and managing the dedicated staff of around 50;
- working with stakeholders including State Government to facilitate the necessary changes to the governance and organisational structures.
Applications are encouraged from emerging or seasoned managers with appropriate qualifications and demonstrated experience in a diverse service based organisation. High levels of commercial and political acumen, complemented by superior communication, negotiation, change management, stakeholder influencing and leadership skills are all essential qualities sought, as is the courage, pragmatism, versatility and commitment to drive community outcomes. Experience in local government is not a requirement. Therefore, applications are most welcome from a diverse range of professional profiles from both the public and private sectors.
The role is initially offered on a 6-12 month basis with the possibility of extension. Flexible working conditions between Coober Pedy and other locations can be negotiated. Make an enquiry to find out more.
For further information on our client, please visit cooberpedy.sa.gov.au
Applications should be addressed to Andrew Reed. Please click on the Apply Today button to submit your application.
For a confidential discussion, please call (08) 8100 8849.Please note: Your application will be automatically acknowledged by return email.