The Essential Services Commission is an independent economic regulator with the primary objective of protecting the long-term interests of South Australian consumers with respect to the price, quality and reliability of essential services. The Commission is a statutory authority with regulatory functions in a range of essential services including water and sewerage, electricity, gas, rail and maritime services, and advisory functions on economic and regulatory matters.
The Commission facilitates and enables positive consumer outcomes for South Australians within the context of relevant legislation and regulatory frameworks. Its team is expert, professional and responsive. The Commission carefully balances resources and works collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to deliver robust regulatory decisions and advice.
Reporting to the Director, Consumer Protection and Pricing, this leadership role operates autonomously on a day-to-day basis and has responsibility for managing the Commission’s transport regulatory function and undertaking economic and financial analysis in a range of industries for the development of consumer protection and price regulation decisions. Key responsibilities include:
- leading, motivating and developing an effective professional team in an environment which fosters innovation;
- managing and undertaking pricing reviews in regulated industries and regulated industry reviews required by legislation;
- providing analysis and advice on access, market conduct and competition issues in regulated industries;
- managing the regulatory aspects of third party access in the ports, rail and water industries;
- researching and preparing clear and concise reports and information for industry participants and consumers, and developing policy advice to inform Commission decisions;
- building and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Applications are invited from appropriately qualified professionals with extensive experience in economic and financial analysis and a detailed understanding of financial and commercial issues associated with regulated industries. The successful candidate will be driven, collegial and a creative thinker with excellent research and project management skills and a genuine focus on service delivery and protecting consumers. Excellent team leadership, stakeholder relationship management and presentation skills will also be critical personal qualities necessary for success in this role. High level financial modelling capability will be essential along with excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to deliver technical messages in clear and concise language.
This is a rare opportunity to join a highly professional and meaningful organisation and contribute to its delivery of better outcomes for South Australians.
For a job and person specification, please click on the PDF icon above or below, and for further information on our client, please visit escosa.sa.gov.au
Applications in Word format only should be forwarded to Julie Brennan by email to email@example.com
Telephone enquiries are welcome and may be directed to Julie or Gill Manser on (08) 8100 8827.